The cell phone industry is huge; there are currently more than 5 billion cell phone contracts worldwide, and the industry obviously has a lot to lose. According to Devra Davis, President of the Environmental Health Trust, the industry may fear that the negative health implications linked to frequent cell phone use will ultimately decrease the number of subscribers.
In her book titled Disconnect: The Truth About Cell Phone Radiation, What the Industry Has Done to Hide It, and How to Protect Your Family, she writes that “There’s a sense that, if you understand you need to be careful using a cell phone, some people might not use them at all.”
Interestingly, there are warnings on most cell phones, but they’re in extremely fine print, so hardly anyone reads them. Here’s one example:
“Use hands-free operation if it is available and keep the device at least 0.98 in. (25 mm) from your body (including the abdomen of pregnant women and the lower abdomen of teenagers) when the device is turned on and connected to the wireless network.”
Amazing! How many people were aware that cell phone should be kept about an inch away from the body at all times? Not many, I’ll bet.
If You Haven’t Yet, Minimize Your Exposure
Here are some tips for safe cell phone use:
• Use a headset or speaker phone whenever possible.
• Don’t sleep with the phone on your body or near it.
• If you must use a cell phone without a headset, make only essential calls and keep them as short as possible.
• Wait for the call to be connected before you place the phone near your ear.
• Limit your use of cell phones in enclosed metal spaces like elevators or vehicles. The metal enclosure can increase the risk in two ways: 1) The phone may need more power to establish a connection, and 2) the enclosure can trap the radiation and reflect it back to the user.
• Use an EMF (electromagnetic field) protection device. This can be as simple as attaching a ferrite bead to your headset wire. A ferrite bead or other EMF protection device can be cheaply and easily obtained at any electronics store.
• Don’t wear a bluetooth all the time; or if you do, don’t keep it turned on except when absolutely necessary.
• Finally, because cell phone use can decrease levels of certain nutrients, be sure to get adequate antioxidants, coQ10, and zinc. If you’re following the Save Our Bones Program, you’re already getting what you need.
Check Your Cell Phone’s Radiation Rating
This handy tool shows how much radiation is emitted by the most popular phones (but be aware that even a low radiation phone can be risky if used in less than optimal conditions). Use it to find out how much radiation your phone emits and if you’re in the market for a new phone, try getting one that has a low rating:
Cell Phone Radiation Chart
The Bottom Line
Since early history, we’ve been making tools to improve our quality of life. As technology advances by leaps and bounds, we should remain alert of its potential health consequences.
I believe that so long as we are aware of the possible problems, we can outsmart the risks and enjoy the convenience of new inventions.
Cell phones are the perfect example, so stay ‘connected’, informed, and enjoy the fruits of our inventive creativity.
Al Hayrah, United Arab Emirates, Al Hayrah, UAE
Little Rock, Arkansas
Egypt, Cairo: city limits
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Click on any of the pictures below
to learn more