Is Your Headset Making Matters Worse?
For some time, the standard recommendation to reduce your radiation exposure was to use a headset. But, newer investigations, and the emergence of wireless earpieces (like Bluetooth), turns this idea upside down. These headsets may actually intensify your exposure to harmful radiation because the headset itself acts as an antenna, which is now inserted directly into your ear canal.
Testing has indicated that your cell phone headset may actually raise the amount of radiation emitted by more than 300 percent!
It’s vital that you know the pros and cons of cell phone headsets — especially now that laws requiring “hands-free” cell phone headsets while driving are going in effect all over the United States.
The British Independent Group on Mobile Phones suggested that headsets are an ideal solution only if they were used with filters to stop the headset wire from acting as an effective antenna. One solution is an air-tube headset. These conduct sound, but prevent any radiation from traveling up the wire to your brain.
More Safety Tips to Limit Your Exposure
To date, there are few alternatives to ensure complete safety, but there are some common sense recommendations:
1. Limit the amount of time you spend on the phone.
2. Limit your exposure to WiFi routers. Find out where they are located in your work environment and stay away from them.
3. If you have any land-based (non-cellular) portable phones, do NOT use anything other than the 900 MHz phones as the Gigahertz phones stay on continuously, blasting you with information-carrying radio waves 24/7.
4. Use the speakerphone instead of putting the phone to your ear; this is probably one of the single most important steps you can take other than not using your cell phone.
5. Use a wired headset to limit your exposure to the cell phone — ideally, an air-tube headset that conducts sound but prevents any radiation from traveling up the wire to your brain. Also make sure the wire is SHIELDED, which prevents the wire from acting as an antenna that could attract more information-carrying radio waves directly to your brain.
6. Limit calls inside buildings.
7. Use the phone in open spaces as often as possible.
8. Limit use by children and preadolescents.
Cellphone Radiation Affects Cells in Living Humans
23 February 2008
from TMCNet Website
From New Scientist Print Edition
issue 2644 of New Scientist magazine, 23 February 2008, page 5
RADIATION from cellphones is too weak to heat biological tissue or break chemical bonds in cells, but the radio waves they emit may still affect cell behaviour.
“Our study suggests that it is possible that mobile phone radiation alters the expression of some proteins in living humans,” says Dariusz Leszczynski at the Finnish Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority, in Helsinki.
“It is possible that mobile phone radiation alters the expression of some proteins”
Leszczynski exposed 10 female volunteers to radiation at 900 megahertz from GSM phones to simulate an hour-long phone call. He screened 580 different proteins in their skin cells and found that the numbers of two proteins were altered in all of the volunteers: one protein increased by 89 per cent, the other decreased by 32 per cent (BMC Genomics, DOI: 10.1186/1471-2164-9-77).
Although similar effects have been observed in cultured cells, this is the first study to show molecular effects of phone radiation on humans.
It does not necessarily mean that the radio waves have a negative health effect, Leszczynski says.
“But it does mean that the human body recognises this low-level radiation and reacts to it.”
The precise role of these proteins is not known, nor which genes code for them. The proteins were detected by molecular weight and electrical properties.
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Papua New Guinea, Port Moresby
Saudi Arabia, Riyadh
Mount Gambier, South Australia
Click on any of the pictures below
to learn more